Canadian Mental Health Association
Position / Placement: Health Advocate
Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)-Central Alberta Region is a not for profit organization with over 50 years of experience helping vulnerable people in our community. We are a growing organization focused on forward thinking, community building, and changing the conversation around mental health.
The Buffalo Apartments is a unique, dynamic, fast paced, complex, intense, fun, and exceptionally rewarding work environment. Working within a 24 hour, year round service, the Health Advocate will provide holistic & non-judgmental health promotion, advocacy, and support to formerly homeless individuals with complex physical and mental health needs. The Health Advocate will work as part of a supportive housing team to increase the overall level of health and well-being of tenants, and take a lead role in educating and informing staff and tenants about health related matters. The successful candidate will be organized, able to multi-task, remain calm in challenging situations, and approach her/his work, peers, and service recipients with an attitude of good intent, respect, humor, quick thinking, confidence, forgiveness, and persistence. As part of a dedicated staff team, the Health Advocate will embrace the philosophy and practices of Housing First, harm reduction, recovery, and strength-based approaches.
The scope of work and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assist and actively support tenants with basic and complex health needs, including but not limited to: health & medication education, health promotion activities, wellness visits, monitor and assist in the management of chronic health conditions
• Provide system navigation and advocacy by accompanying tenants to planned and emergency medical appointments • Liaise with other health professionals
• Position/program development
• Serve as a role model for tenants
• Ensure effective communication through exemplary documentation and oral communication
• Other duties and committee work as assigned
Desired qualifications and skills include:
• A minimum of a diploma in a related health profession
• A minimum of 3-4 years of direct experience working with individuals with complex needs
• Valid First Aid Level C CPR & AED certificate
• A robust understanding of issues related to brain injury, addictions, mental health, and homelessness
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Comfortable and competent in working collaboratively within a large dynamic team
• Firm, fair & flexible
• Demonstrable skill and experience in being an assertive advocate and voice for marginalized populations
• Physically fit, able to climb stairs and lift up to 50 lbs
For more information: Buffalo-Health Advocate May 2018.docx
CMHA offers a competitive salary and opportunities for advancement.
Hours of work are flexible & negotiable within the needs of the program and tenants.
If you are passionate about working with vulnerable people in a creative and dynamic environment submit your resume to:.
Please quote the job code BUFFALO-Health Advocate in the subject line of your email and cover letter. Closing Date: June 8th, 2018 4:00 p.m. or until a suitable candidate is found.
*** Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. ***
Organization: Canadian Mental Health Association