Canadian Mental Health Association
Position / Placement: Temporary Case Manager (3 month term with possible extension)
Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)-Central Alberta is a not for profit organization with over 50 years of experience helping vulnerable people in our community. We are a growing organization focused on forward thinking, community building, and changing the conversation around mental health.
The Buffalo Housing First Community is a unique, dynamic, fast paced, complex, intense, fun, and exceptionally rewarding work environment. Working within a 24 hour, year round service, Case Managers provide wraparound housing support to formerly homeless individuals with complex needs. Case Managers are organized, able to multi-task, remain calm in challenging situations, and approach his/her work, peers, and service recipients with an attitude of good intent, respect, humour, quick thinking, confidence, forgiveness, and persistence. As part of a dedicated staff team, the Case Manager will embrace the philosophy and practices of housing first, harm reduction, resilience and recovery, and strength-based approaches.
The scope of work and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Interact with and engage tenants
- Develop and implement goals with the tenant
- Assist in the development of plans for individuals
- Assist individuals to achieve the goals of their personal plan
- Enforce tenant rules
- Enforce visitor policy
- Follow safety procedures developed for building
- Crisis intervention
- Record case notes in a timely manner
- Record relevant information in log
- Record required data entry in ETO database
- Complete SPDAT assessments when required
- Assist with ensuring the general cleanliness of the building
- Assist tenants with room maintenance, laundry, decorating
- Participate in staff meetings, case management meetings, and ongoing training
Desired qualifications and skills include:
- A minimum of a diploma of Social Work, or equivalent in a similar human services field
- One year related experience
- Valid Standard First Aid Level C CPR & AED certificate
- Knowledge of the housing first model, and Harm Reduction
- Interest in working as a member of a team
- Strong belief in client-directed service
- Ability to work independently in a non-structured environment
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with clients, team members, and the community at large
- Non-judgmental attitude towards individuals who choose an alternative lifestyle
- Ability to work effectively with clients displaying a wide range of unpleasant and/or bizarre behavior
- Experience working with the homeless, persons with a mental illness, or persons involved with prostitution is an asset
- Personal experience with mental health services and/or a mental illness or addiction would be considered an asset
For more information: Buffalo-Temporary Case Manager.pdf
We offer a competitive salary with opportunity for advancement.
Hours of work will be Monday to Friday 2:15 p.m.-10:15 p.m., with daytime flexibility required. If you are passionate about working with vulnerable people in a creative and dynamic environment submit your resume to:.
Please quote the Job Code BUFFALO-Case Manager in the subject line of your email and cover letter.
Closing Date: June 8th, 2018 4:00 p.m. or until a suitable candidate is found.
*** Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. ***
Organization: Canadian Mental Health Association