Canadian Mental Health Association
Position / Placement: Tenant Support Worker - Casual
Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)-Central Alberta is a not for profit organization with over 50 years of experience helping vulnerable people in our community. We are a growing organization focused on forward thinking, community building, and changing the conversation around mental health.
The Buffalo Apartments is a unique, dynamic, fast paced, complex, intense, fun, and exceptionally rewarding work environment. Working within a 24 hour, year round service, Tenant Support Workers provide wraparound housing support to persons who have experienced chronic homelessness. Tenant Support Workers are organized, able to multi-task, remain calm in challenging situations, and approach his/her work, peers, and service recipients with an attitude of good intent, respect, humour, quick thinking, confidence, forgiveness, and persistence. As part of a dedicated staff team, the Tenant Support Worker will embrace the philosophy and practices of Housing First, harm reduction, resilience and recovery, and strength-based approaches.
The scope of work and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with peers, tenants, guests, community members, and other professionals.
- Assist and actively support tenants with basic and complex needs, including but not limited to: daily living skills, hygiene, social interaction, self-care, being a good neighbor, nutrition, substance abuse, mental health, and conflict resolution.
- Ensure safety by screening and managing visitors according to policies.
- Maintain a safe & clean work and living environment (cleaning and physical work is required).
- Serve as a role model for tenants.
- Ensure effective communication through exemplary documentation and oral communication. Other duties and committee work as assigned.
Desired qualifications and skills include:
- A minimum of a two-year Certificate or Diploma in a human services discipline; Degree preferred.
- A minimum of 3-4 years of direct client experience working with individuals who have experienced chronic homelessness.
- Completion of Standard First Aid Level C CPR & AED
- An understanding of complex needs such as brain injury, addictions, and mental illness.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Comfortable and competent in working collaboratively within a large dynamic team.
- Able to work shift work.
- Physically fit and able to climb stairs and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Basic understanding of the use of universal precautions.
- Confidence in dealing with conflict and complex situations.
Please note this is a casual position with hours scheduled on an as needed basis. CMHA offers a competitive salary and opportunities for advancement.
If you are passionate about working with vulnerable people in a creative and dynamic environment submit your resume to:.
Please quote the Job Code BUFFALO-Tenant Support Worker Casual in the subject line of your email and cover letter.
Closing Date: June 15th, 2018 4:00 p.m. or until a suitable candidate is found.
*** Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. ***
For more information: Buffalo Tenant Support Worker-Casual May 2018.pdf
Organization: Canadian Mental Health Association