Red Deer Association for Bicycle Commuting
Position / Placement: Barricade Attendant
The Red Deer Association for Bicycle Commuting is seeking a barricade attendant for their Cyclovia 2018 Event.
On Saturday, August 12, 2018 from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm the Red Deer Association for Bicycle Commuting will be hosting the first ever Cyclovia event in Red Deer. We are very excited to offer this new event for Red Deer. This will be an "Open Streets"activity, where selected streets in the downtown core will be temporarily closed to car traffic and open to anyone to bike, walk, or run - any non-car activity (e-bikes and scooters welcome).
The event includes three (3) satellite stations (Collicutt Centre, Dawe Library, and Safety City) where participants will be provided with routes to the city core to enjoy a car free experience in downtown Red Deer. In addition to the open streets in the core, there will be a variety of activities, including, but not limited to: open restaurants and cafes, active living association booths, bicycle repair demos, bicycle shop booths, etc. We are eager to have Red Deer join the Open Streets global movement taking place in communities of all sizes, all over the world.
The main goal for the event is to promote and increase awareness for cycling and walking as an acceptable and safe mode of travel for recreation and commuting on public streets.
- Responsible for looking after a hard closed street, typically hard closed with a barricade.
- Prevent unauthorized vehicles from entering the route.
- Assist with entrance/exit of authorized vehicles (if permitted).
- Greet participants as they enter/exit Open Streets.
- Answer questions as necessary.
- Contact event Manager if any issues arise at the street barricades.
- Encouraged to make the barricade “their own” with music, signs, decorations, costumes, etc.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Cheerful attitude.
- Ability to communicate clearly and provide directions for alternate routes to drivers.
- Confident in ability to maintain the safety of the barricade.
- Enjoy an opportunity to help others in your community.
- Have a great time yourself and meet new friends.
- Enhance your resume with a truly unique example of volunteer experience.
For more information about us or Cyclovia Red Deer 2018, click here: https://www.facebook.com/CycloviaRedDeer/
Organization: Red Deer Association for Bicycle Commuting
Contact Person: Elizabeth Hagell
Phone Number: (403) 341-5914