Big Brothers Big Sisters of Red Deer and District
Position / Placement: Mentor
Big Brother and Big Sister (mentors) spend time with their Little Brother or Little Sister (mentee) sharing good times and experiences while creating relationships that can last a lifetime!
- Bigs and Littles participate in a variety of activities – everything from riding bikes, skating, reading, working on homework, cooking, playing video games to just talking and sharing with each other.
- For a few hours, a couple times a month, you can give a Little the invaluable gift of your friendship. By simply changing their perspective of what the world can offer, you can literally start changing their life. Play a board game. Make fun crafts. Hit the playground together. Just as your options are unlimited, so is your Little’s potential.
- Being a volunteer isn’t about finding time to spend with a child; it’s about inviting a child into the life you’re already living!
- Mentors must be reliable, honest, trustworthy and fun to hang out with!
- Mentors advise and challenge young people, act as their champions, provide greater consistency in their lives, connect them to new experiences, opportunities and networks, and provide safe, nonjudgmental environments in which the child or youth can confide anything.
- The most important thing mentors need is the ability to share things they already enjoy doing, be committed to the youth they are matched with, and be willing to enjoy life and have fun!
- There are huge benefits to mentoring youth in the communities we serve.
- With the guidance and support of a mentor, young people can gain the confidence to achieve more – higher incomes, happier lives, more contributions to their communities.
- Ultimately, mentoring isn’t a one-way process. It’s a two-way street. It has the potential to change — indeed, to radically transform — not just one life, but two. It’s fun, it’s an adventure, you’ll learn a lot about yourself, you’ll have stories to last a lifetime.
Training and support is provided.
Organization: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Red Deer and District
Contact Person: Janessa McCormack
Phone Number: (403) 342-6500